What you should know before you apply your nail polish

Most women and a few men paint their nails. It is very common thing that in principle does not present any type of inconvenient.

We all know that we should not paint our nails every day because they turn yellow and weaken, but even people who are more aware of how important it is to take care of yourself do not consider how dangerous nail polish can be.

A new study found many of the most popular brands of nail polish are much more harmful than they seem.

Researchers tested 24 women who painted their nails for signs of chemical toxins in their bodies. They found toxins in each of them. The cause? Nail polish.

The results showed that 100% of the participants showed signs of triphenyl phosphate only 10 hours after nail polish was applied.

What you should know before you apply your nail polish, Hiit Workout

The same researchers tested ten different nail polishes in a study and found that 8 of them contained this chemical.

Furthermore, 2 of the nail lacquers that tested positive for triphenyl phosphate did not indicate on the label that they contained this chemical compound. This could mean that up to 20% of the nail polishes on sale contain a dangerous chemical that is not listed.

What is triphenyl phosphate?

One of the biggest concerns about triphenyl phosphate is that it disrupts the human endocrine system, and it controls all of our hormones.

Dr. Heather Stapleton, principal investigator of the study, expressed her concerns by saying, “There is evidence that triphenyl phosphate can affect hormone regulation, metabolism, reproduction and development.

This is particularly harmful for girls who use nail polish regularly, as healthy hormonal development is an essential part of their growth. However, triphenyl phosphate poses a serious health risk to anyone who is exposed to it.

Also known for being:

-Neurotoxins
-Endocrine toxin
-Reproductive Toxin
-Skin irritant
-Allergen

Other dangerous nail polish compounds

Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde is a well-known carcinogen that can dissolve in water and air. Exposure to this chemical can also cause symptoms such as clapiness, asthma, and shortness of breath. Those with chronic illnesses are especially susceptible to formaldehyde poisoning.

Toluene

This chemical is known to impede development in children, however, some scientists found traces of it in breast milk. In Addition, it may be irritating to the skin after exposure.

Stay Safe

You don’t have to completely nix your manicures. If you want to minimize your exposure to the chemicals there are a few things you can do:

1. Choose non-toxic polishes

Opt for polishes labeled non-toxic. WebMD offers a list of polishes that passed the test.

2. Choose a safe salon

California recognizes salons that are taking strides to be healthier, such as choosing non-toxic polishes and providing more ventilation. Not all states or cities have this program, so you may need to do a bit of research before sitting in the manicure chair.

3. Leave your nails polish free at least a few days per month

Remove your nail polish, and let your nails breathe freely for a few days each month. Not only does this reduce your exposure to potentially harmful chemicals, it’s actually good for your nails to get some fresh air too!

Are you worried about exposure to harmful chemicals when you get your nails painted?

Make sure to share this information with your friends and family on Facebook.